Time to turn the heating up…….

Time to turn the heating up…….

cat-227941_1280Brrrr….Autumn has well and truly arrived, and so many of us have started to turn the central heating up in our homes. But are your dogs and cats up-to-date with flea control?

Fleas are often considered a spring / summer problem for our pets, but the reality is that they can be a year-round problem in our homes, with eggs hatching once the central heating is turned up.

Adult fleas that we see on our pets are only the tip of the iceberg, being just 5% of the infestation. The remaining 95% of the problem consists of the immature stages of the flea life cycle – eggs, larvae and pupae, which are spread throughout the home when they fall off the pet’s coat. Warm homes provide the perfect breeding environment for fleas, making them a year-round problem.

Fleas can cause more than just an irritating bite for both pets and owners. Some pets develop an allergy to the flea saliva which can results in a nasty and very uncomfortable dermatitis. They can also potentially transmit various diseases as well as tapeworm infection, so a regular broad-spectrum wormer is also recommended for our cats and dogs.

Prevention is far better than cure – if you wait until you see fleas or your pet scratching, then an infestation in your home will be far more difficult to get on top of, so regular year-round treatment of all pets in the home is the best way to keep flea problems under control.

Flea treatments are now available in a wide-variety of preparations to suit individual pets’ and owners’ needs. Collars, tablets, “spot-ons” and even injections are available on prescription from the surgery. We can also provide treatments for small furries such as rabbits, which can also suffer from flea infestations.

For further advice on flea control, please pop in or call the surgery on 01325 380111.

Comments are closed.

Stanhope Road Hospital

30 Stanhope Road South,
Darlington,
Co. Durham
DL3 7SQ
Contact us here...

Cats & Exotics Practice

58 Duke Street,
Darlington,
Co. Durham
DL3 7AN
Contact us here...

Middleton-St-George

4 The Square,
Middleton-St-George
DL2 1EG
 
Contact us here...

Yarm Practice

143 High Street,
Yarm
TS15 9AY
 
 
Contact us here...

Opening Times

Please click here to view the opening times for each branch.